Where to stay
We stayed at an AirBnB: Boho Bear Cave! It was adorable, affordable and easy to get to! It was located halfway between the little mountain towns of Blue Ridge and Ellijay. It’s in a cabin community but still feels secluded. Complete with indoor fireplace, outdoor fire pit, hot tub and two decks to hang out on. It comfortable sleeps 5 guests.
What we love about Blue Ridge is how many different activities the area offers and we definitely plan to head back up to explore more.
- Mountain Biking- Aska Trail System
- Fly Fishing– Fannin County is the Trout Capital of Georgia!
- Golf- there are many beautiful courses in the area, we recommend Old Toccoa Farm
- Hiking- Benton MacKaye Trail and the Appalachian Trail run through Blue Ridge
- Water Rafting- Ocoee, TN is known for its white watering rafting and its only a 45 minutes drive.
- The Black Sheep– amazing for dinner or brunch. Patio is dog friendly
- Harvest on Main– southern staples, the Shrimp and Grits is a personal fave
- Misty Mountain Hops– great place for sandwiches and burgers. We actually got our To-Go and headed over to Fannin Brewing Company to enjoy. If you love the Grateful Dead, be sure to pop inside to check out all the concert posters.
- Das Kaffee Haus– a must do for morning coffee before strolling around downtown
- The Roof– cocktail and tapas and lovely views
- Emily’s Bar and Restaurant – a little more upscale, we grabbed a bunch of appetizers to share while we enjoyed live music.
Best Vineyards and Breweries
Between the small towns there are a handful of breweries and vineyards to visit! Most places are dog friendly as well.
The Dogwood– a brand new beer garden!
Grumpy Old Men Brewing– Our favorite beer was the Choco Blanco and home to Jeff’s Hot Dogs and Pretzels. They often have live music and are dog friendly inside and outside.
Fannin Brewing Company– a smaller operation in a warehouse, huge outdoor space with games and lots of shade.
Cartecay River Brewing– right on the Cartecay River.
Copperhill Brewery– right on the boarder of Tennessee and Georgia, the state line actually runs down the middle of the brewery.
Bear Claw Vineyards– Beautiful location, lots of fire pits and photo opportunities.
Cartecay Vineyards– You can visit their vineyard or their wine bar in downtown Ellijay!
A huge draw for the area are the multiple waterfall hikes within a short drive of town. Long Creek and Fall Branch are easy hikes for all while Amicalola Falls is a bit harder and includes over 600 steps to reach the top.
Long Creek Falls, right off the Appalachian Trail
Fall Branch Falls, right off the BMT (Benton MacKaye Trial)
Amicalola Falls at Amicalola Falls State Park
Blue Ridge is a great place for all groups: families, bachelorette parties or bachelor parties, girls or boys weekends! We hope to head back soon and share more of our favorite things.